Wednesday 14 November 2007

Linked Rib

My friend Jean, who is a much more accomplished knitter than I am, said she was having some trouble with the Linked Rib scarf from Knitting New Scarves, so I thought I would cast on and see if I could understand the pattern. I had noticed that some of the scarves included flanges and had thought, Well, I must have a look at that some day, and then I knitted three of the easiest scarves in the book. This scarf has a flange.
I cast on last night. It's Rowan Kid Classic, one of my favourite yarns and a very well behaved one in that it tends to stay where you put it and doesn't slide about or twist when you're not looking at it. I probably won't knit an entire scarf out of it because I want to knit others first, but it suits the pattern. The cast on is one of the trickiest parts of the whole thing, but it's only 30 stitches and even I couldn't lose concentration or patience in that time. I felt enormously pleased with myself when I got to this stage. There was a certain amount of foul language, but that was caused more by my lack of dexterity than by the pattern. Look, a flange. And a glass of wine, I know. You can see some of my knitting paraphernalia there too, or 'clutter' as some people call it.

Then I followed the instructions for the next part. I had some confidence by now and the instructions are very clear. The author, Lynne Barr, has a very three-dimensional way of thinking about knitting and I tend to be very linear (I have been accused of having two left brains) but I really understood what was going on. I even felt a certain insouciance about sliding stitches on and off needles in order to do the setting up for the next stage. Sometimes a little knitting under the influence isn't a bad thing.
Then I had to shift all the stitches around again and discovered why the pattern calls for six needles, Yes, six. My set of rosewood 4mm dpns is only five needles, so I had a rummage in the clutter, sorry, paraphernalia. I considered using a metal dpn but I thought that might slide out at some critical moment, and then I came across these. They're little dpns for knitting the fingers of gloves, 4 inches long, which I bought by mistake once - the hazards of buying online and not reading the description properly.

Anyway, it doesn't say anywhere that all six dpns have to be the same length, and they don't; it worked very nicely.
I then did the next five rounds and decided that I had been quite clever enough for one evening (and besides, do you see, my glass is empty) so I stopped there.

4 comments:

Vivienne said...

You've been tantalising me with glimpses from this book for so long, and I have stoutly resisted, but today is just too much. I have cracked and ordered it! Now I just need to lay in some wine, to aid concentration.

Kate said...

Thank you so much for your commiserations over the Wedding Ring Shawl. I think I'm on the mend but it was touch and go for a while. Those scarves look most interesting. I loved your Kauni Jigsaw (which I did in a new fastest time of 5'10".) See, I can't knit but I'm a whizz at jigsaws.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Juneau is in the Southeast panhandle of Alaska and has a maritime, temperate climate. Each winter there are usually a few short-lived cold snaps, but it's not like the northern interior of Alaska. (Which better fits the Alaskan stereotype.)

I'm intrigued by those scarves. I'll have to keep watching them.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.