Friday 30 July 2010

Knitting in Circles


I realized that the baby who is getting the stripy green Pinwheel Blanket

will also need a Daisy Hat.


Then it occurred to me that her big sister should have a Daisy Hat too, since she has probably outgrown the one I made for her when she was born, so I bought some Handknit Cotton in Delphinium but I haven't cast on yet.

Then I realized that of the two babies due before the end of the year, at least one may be a girl so I had better have a Daisy Hat ready for that baby.


And whatever the one in Australia is, her/his big sister will need a new hat too. I wonder what colour she would like.

The new ball of Rowan Handknit Cotton, the beautiful tender pale pink which I thought might be called Peony, but is called Shell, is noticeably softer than the bits and pieces of Handknit that I already had in my stash. It's softer to the touch, and it wasn't nearly so tough on my pore ole hands. I usually can't knit for very long with 100% cotton, but this was fine.

I blocked the white Swallowtail Shawl and although it's very pretty, it is indubitably also too small to be used as a christening shawl.


I'll have to have a think. Perhaps the mother would like to have it for herself, as a reward. Is white too limiting a colour?

I did three repeats of Lily of the Valley pattern. I think it might be because I used the yarn double that it didn't grow so much when I blocked it. A single strand of cobweb seemed impossible to knit with, but now that I've used it doubled, I can't wait to use a single strand. Watch this space.

I did some swatches for the Aeolian Shawl but none of them really works.

From the top: Rowan Kidsilk Spray in Medici, Kidsilk Night in um, black, and Kona Superwash Fingering in a custom dye. I need to use something lighter. As I've established before, the lace pattern is lost in the splashes of the Kidsilk Spray (the paler blue one). When the Citron Shawl pattern first appeared, I thought, 'That's lovely, but of course I would never knit it,' but as time goes by I see more and more that are lovely and I think I might. This would be a very good yarn for it.

I had an eye test recently and collected my new glasses this week. They were so shockingly expensive that I don't think I'll ever be able to buy yarn again, although a small voice is pointing out to me that if I want to make any say, sweater-sized purchases, it would be a good idea to do it before VAT goes up in January. I think I must be incorrigible, a hopeless recidivist.

9 comments:

Mette said...

Your swalowtail is really lovely.

Sea said...

The shawl is beautiful.
After reading about the daisy hats...I just HAD to buy the book! :D
I think my colleagues at work are having a rest from babies at the moment, mind you, earlier this year there was a glut.
Perhaps they will rethink the the VAT? After all...buying the yarn is only one step, the purchaser has to make it up.

Mary Lou said...

Eyeglasses are outrageously expensive. A friend and I are contemplating an online purchase of a second pair, just to test out the possibilities.

Raveller said...

I have had my eye on Citron for a while, thinking I'd use that Machair you gave me. Now I've seen M'Lou's Coquille in the latest Knitty and am thinking of getting on that bandwagon....so may choices, so little time!

Knitting Linguist said...

That's a really good point about the VAT. Definitely something to consider, glasses notwithstanding. (And is this like me thinking I need to buy a Bohus kit or three before their maker retires?)

Janet said...

I seem to frequently misplace either my glasses or the case so it's a good idea to have a spare pair - if I know where they are!
Janet

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.