Friday 19 September 2008

Endless Striping

I've been flogging away at the two little stripy scarves and I've nearly lost the will to live.
They're almost finished now (these pix are from earlier in the week) and I'm trying very hard to finish and block them without casting on a piece of Kidsilk Haze lace, but I don't think I'm going to make it. Do you? 

The baby shawl is finished and blocked. It didn't grow as much as I expected - perhaps I wasn't as fierce as I could have been, but I forgot to measure it beforehand anyway. 

I collected the blocking wires from Jean on Monday and hope to do Icarus over the weekend. We went to K1 Yarns and I got the sweetest ball of Orkney Angora - the 100% angora one - which I'll use for a Christmas present for friend who is soppy about rabbits. The 50gm ball has 400 metres and I'm thinking of doing a Shetland Triangle. The first piece of lace I knitted was one of these and I've wanted to another one ever since. 

Keeping me going on the scarf front is the fact that I won this.

Both Jean and Spinning Fishwife were kind enough to mention me. 

Getting something like this is very time-consuming, because the first thing I do is check the blogs of everyone else they've mentioned, and then quite a few of the blogs mentioned on those blogs. And so on. This is one of the nice things about the Internet, how one good thing leads to another. 

I stopped off to buy Woolly Wormhead's new book of children's hats, Wee Woolly Toppers. Have a look at them: they're modelled by her lovely little boy. Go on, you know you want one.

I have to nominate four more, and I've decided not to duplicate any that Jean and Fishwife chose, so it's hard. 

In no special order, Just Another Raveller, who doesn't just knit but tells us about the local (to her) history of knitting too. And makes up her own patterns as she goes along, gasp.

Kristina at Bespoke by Brouhaha, who isn't posting very much just now because of family responsibilities, but usually dazzles by how much she does and how much she blogs. 

And, although I know she's too busy to be bothered with the likes of this, Annie Modesitt, who is the person I would like to hope I could be if I ever had to deal with so much adversity. 

And Miss Alice Faye, who doesn't post very often but who knits the most breathtaking lace and also has the gall to take breathtaking photographs of it, making me feel inadequate twice over. Look at this. And this, gulp.

It's a pity I can't nominate LOLCATS because they've been on such a roll lately. 

cat

I'm just so impressed that this site has gone on for so long simply on the goodwill of the people who track down photos and make up silly captions. Long live the sillier aspects of human nature.

 A big thanks too, to all the people who left comments from in response to my last post, about the Jigzone link - jetlady, I'll describe how to do the hat in my next post. It's lovely to know you're all still out there. 

9 comments:

Cinders said...

I love you lace knitting. One day I shall do some!!
i've ben tagged and nominated a few times but donbt know how to upload the award so gave up!!!

Raveller said...

Thank, Helen. What a nice vote of confidence. I'll have to get back to the subject of knitting history.

Cinders said...

Thanks for your kind message Helen,
I've sent my evidence into the Tribunal thanks so now its just a case of waiting till next Wednesday.eeek!!

Knitting Linguist said...

I'm guessing by now you've finished with the striped scarves and cast on with the KidSilk Haze (not necessarily in that order) -- can't wait to see what you've cast on. The baby shawl looks lovely, and seems to be blocked at a good tension... I'm completely with you about the sillier aspects of human beings, isn't it great to see what we'll do?

Sea said...

I keep looking at what you are up to, and thinking I realy should get my needles out again, am slowly making a blanket from oddments of wool, in leaf panels. Evry similar to one I made for each of my children when they were born, from the Patons knitting book. I did buy some varigated "fur" wooll and am knitting into a thin scaf, just because.
It's about time I knitted something proper. :)
Your blog does push me that way, and at 15 and 1/2 I think my youngest is way past playing with the ball of wool.

knititch said...

thanks for all your information about the hebrides and the shetland islands. i really appreciate that.

lovely blog and not my first visit.

Anonymous said...

Oh - I'm still readin! Just not as often as I like.

This cat photo amuses me to no end since I work for a promotional products company. I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before we start to offer imprinting on cat bellies!

Hang in there on the scarves - you are a brave woman!

Cinders said...

Hi helen, thanks for enquiring about how I got on at m,y tribunal. I won!! i got what I wanted which was HRM. they've left me on lRC but I thought they might. The award is only for 2 years and its back dated to feb so I'll be starting the whole rigmarole again in 18 months!

fleegle said...

The shawl is lovely!

Good idea about the scarves. I have a drawer full of them I received as gifts and never wear.