Wednesday 19 September 2007

Georgetown Socks

I knitted a sock on Lorna's Laces Georgetown ages ago, last year I think. I used Wendy's toe-up pattern and put a sort of basketweave pattern around the ankle. I started the second one and got as far as the ankle and then discovered that I couldn't find the first sock to check the length of the ankle.So there the second sock sat, taking up my nice rosewood dpns and deterring me from beginning any other socks. Periodically I would shuffle through one or both of the places where I knew the First Sock must be, but all I ever found was other sock yarn that wasn't being knitted.

Then recently I was looking for Something Completely Different in a third place, a place where I couldn't possibly have put a completed sock, and I found it. So I was able to cast off, and I now have a lovely pair of socks which match clothes I have bought since I made and lost the first sock - can you guess my favourite colour? I still like these, but they highlight a phenomenon which makes variegated yarns so intimidating. When I looked at this shade in the skein, and in the ball, it seemed to be pale blues and greens and a pale lilac, but once it's knitted into a sock a sort of yellowish green has appeared, which is quite acid. It's not the end of the world, but it's enough to make me nervous.

No comments: