Saturday 19 May 2012

Henri

Cat
Oh Lynne, thank you for reminding me. I had Henri in my list of things to be added to the blog and then he sank out of my mind. Here he is now. Be sure to turn on your speakers.



Knitting
The latest Pinwheel got ripped again. I weighed the yarn before I started doing the edge and after a couple of segments it was plain I didn't have enough. There didn't seem to be any white Paton's Jet left in the British Isles and I had gone off the idea of blue. What if they have a little girl later on? There was however a small cache of the yarn in cream, and I acquired that.



I got the original ten-pack of white on eBay for a trifle so it was a bit galling to have to pay the full price for the last three balls, but never mind. I think it's pretty.


I was pleased with the end result, and the friend who commissioned was pleased too, so Phew.


By the time that was finished I was only too happy to switch from my lengthy not-very-fine-yarn-in-garter-stitch binge and turned my attention to some froth. My Polish friend is getting married this summer and I offered early on to make her a shawl or a veil, but she said that was too old fashioned so I turned my attention elsewhere. But of course, I yearned. The dress she has chosen is strapless and I can't help wondering the priest will be altogether happy about her baring her shoulders in church. Or have priests and ministers given up on that front? Anyway, I couldn't resist, and if she doesn't wear it on her wedding day, she can use it to keep warm next winter.

I have liked Sharon Miller's Purity shawl from the first time I saw it in Rowan 43 and somehow two balls of Kidsilk Haze in a light, luscious, gauzy cream shade found their way into my sitting room. (Oddly, it's just called 'Cream', and not some interestingly Rowanesque name like Cloud or Sneeze.) 


 I'm doing the version which only has the lacy flounce along one edge. It's heavenly, like knitting with ice cream or candy floss, or the froth on a cappuccino, and I don't really want to finish it.

Telly
Yes, Knitlass, I think Saga is meant to be somewhere on the spectrum but it all seems very unlikely - would you ask an autistic person to conduct interviews? And while we're on the subject, do they really not keep any record of police interviews in Sweden? And it's one of those very scary serial killers who seems to be able to walk through walls and influence people's behaviour from a  distance, and I just spend too much time thinking, 'But nobody would do that,' about all the characters, all the time. And the make-up department must have used up the entire Scandinavian supply of putty-coloured foundation, as all the characters look on the brink of unconsciousness. But no doubt I shall watch it to the bitter end, which is this Saturday night, just so that I can complain about it.

Ryan
Sad news. The Handmade Ryan Gosling hs got a book contract so the website is saying bye bye. Here's a last thought for us to cling to.



1 comment:

Mary Lou said...

That blanket with the two-tone is sweet. And you should show thw wedding photo of that shawl on Ravelry to your friend, she might change her mind. And you know my mind on kidsilkhaze...